Skip to main content

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-A-Thon April 2016 - Master Post






Hey y'all, it's that time again!  The first readathon of 2016 is here!  I'm feeling pretty nervous about it right now because I'm not sure how much reading I will actually get done but it's such a fun event that I can't help but participate.  Julia has swimming lessons in the morning and we have lots of errands to run so I'll try to do most of my reading while riding in the car.

I don't have a fun stack of physical books to showcase but I have four books on my kindle that I plan to choose from.  I've started The Beast but I'm not really feeling it right now so I'll probably begin the day with something else.  I do have some reading to do for the class I'm taking so even though I won't be reading a book during that time, I will be reading. : )


On my stack:
The Virgin's War by Laura Andersen
The Beast by J.R. Ward
The Midnight Watch by David Dyer
The Tsarina's Legacy by Jennifer Laam

Most of my check ins will be on twitter since that's the easiest for me.  You can follow me here: @so_many_books.  I will try to post occasional updates on the blog when my daughter is napping and goes to bed in the evening.


HOUR 0 Questionaire
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?  I'm in Kansas and the weather is supposed to be gorgeous.

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?  I'm looking forward to The Virgin's War.  I love this series and even though I know I should read one of the others first, I think it will be the one I start with.

 3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?  Not sure.  I have to go to the store tomorrow so we'll see what I come home with

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!  I'm a mom to a crazy smart, sassy, adorable, almost 3 year old.  I live with my husband, daughter and crazy dog.  I work in higher education which is an adventure and a half. AND I love to read. 

 5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?  I would like to visit more blogs and cheer people on even if it's just on twitter or Facebook.

HOUR 7 UPDATE
It has been a crazy busy morning.  We had swim lessons this morning and then errands and lunch and more errands.  The hubs is currently putting the toddler down for a nap so I'm going to try to get some more reading in.  We did stop at my favorite bakery for some yummy treats so I'm feeling super ready to read!  So far, I have only read 19% of The Virgin's War.  It's probably more than I would normally read by this time on a Saturday but still I feel like a slacker.  Hopefully, I will have a better update this evening.  

I hope everyone's having a great readathon!

Final Wrap Up
So I ended up reading a total of 72% of The Virgin's War plus 3 articles for my class before I went to bed last night (and I finished after the readathon was over).  I definitely read more than I usually would on a Saturday but I still kind of miss the pre-kids readathon days where I could just lay on the couch and not be bothered.  I definitely wish I had more time during the day to visit blogs and twitter but the yesterday wound up being a lot busier than I had planned.  Looking forward to the next readathon; hopefully the toddler can go visit grandma that day!

Comments

  1. As long as you're having fun, that's all that counts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review and Giveaway: "Distant Signs" by Anne Richter

Synopsis: Distant Signs is an intimate portrait of two families spanning three generations amidst turbulent political change, behind and beyond the Berlin Wall. In 1960s East Germany, Margret, a professor’s daughter from the city, meets and marries Hans, from a small village in Thuringia. The couple struggle to contend with their different backgrounds, and the emotional scars they bear from childhood in the aftermath of war. As East German history gradually unravels, with collision of the personal and political, their two families’ hidden truths are quietly revealed. An exquisitely written novel with strongly etched characters that stay with you long after the book is finished and an authentic portrayal of family life behind the iron curtain based on personal experience of the author who is East German and was 16 years old at the fall of the Berlin Wall. Why do families repeat destructive patterns of behaviour across generations? Should the personal take precedence over

Top Ten Books I Recommend The Most

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . This week's topic:  Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most 1.) The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons   2.) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon           If you read my blog at all, you know I love these two books so much!  I am not afraid to suggest them to anyone who I think might enjoy them. 3.) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I was definitely recommending this book left and right when the first movie came out. 4.) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 5.) A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin           These are two books that I just recently started recommending but they are books that can appeal to anyone so they are easy picks when someone asks for a recommendation. 6.) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead  - I get a little embarrassed when I recommend this book to people but seriously, just because it has vampires does not mean it is like Twilight. 7.) The Giver by Lois

Book Blog Hop (11)

The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at Crazy for Books .  It's a way to meet other bloggers and check out some cool new blogs. This week's question is:  "Highlight one book you have received this week that you can't wait to dig into!" Okay, I have a confession to make.  I have been so busy this week that I have not had time to get any new books.  I have several waiting for me at the library but I won't be able to pick them up until this weekend.  : ( Did you all get any exciting new books this week?