Skip to main content

"The White Russian" by Tom Bradby

From Goodreads:  January 1917—With St. Petersburg on the brink of revolution, Sandro Ruzsky, the city’s chief police investigator, returns from exile in Siberia only to be assigned a grisly case: the bodies of a young couple found on the ice of the frozen River Neva, just outside the Tsar’s Winter Palace. Ruzsky’s investigation leads him dangerously close to the royal family and to the woman he loves, and he finds himself confronting both a ruthless killer and the ghosts of his past as he fights desperately to save all that he cares for.

With meticulous research and narrative skill Tom Bradby brilliantly re-creates the gilded salons and squalid tenements of St. Petersburg in the last days of the tsars. Evocative and thrilling, The White Russian is a tumultuous story of murder and betrayal in a city at the crossroads of history.


My Thoughts:  I found this book completely by accident.  It was on display at the library and the cover made me pick it up.  It sounds like a book that would be right up my alley but it just wasn't as good as I expected it to be.  The story started off really well as Ruszky is a really unique character.  He is a prince who is estranged from his family and works for the Petrograd police department.  He is a moral, upright guy in a cesspool of dishonesty and intrigue.  He always tried to do the right thing even if it impacted him negatively.  I found him to be a likeable character but he is portrayed as this really great investigator who at times completely misses everything that is going around him.  There were times where I was surprised that the author portrayed him as a little slow on the uptake.  It also could have been the author trying to show that he was a little naive but I am not so sure.

The mystery aspect of the story is intriguing in the beginning but starts to get confusing in the end.  I don't know if this is because there were so many characters involved in the mystery or if it was a way to indicate how tumultous the times were.  The author definitely did impart the urgency of the situation; the story is set weeks before the February Revolution will take place and Bradby did a good job of describing an empire on the brink of revolution. 

I hated the ending.  I am just going to say it.  It wasn't what I expected and it was kind of abrupt and very sad.  Also, the reader never finds out what happens to Ruszky after the mystery is dealt with and I really wanted to know more.  I would have loved it if there had been an epilogue but oh well.  Overall, an okay read.  3 stars.

Comments

  1. One question: What is Michael doing the first time Ruzsky sees him when the latter returns home? (I needed to know the answer to this question; it's obvious I didn't read the book.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review and Giveaway: "Distant Signs" by Anne Richter

Synopsis: Distant Signs is an intimate portrait of two families spanning three generations amidst turbulent political change, behind and beyond the Berlin Wall. In 1960s East Germany, Margret, a professor’s daughter from the city, meets and marries Hans, from a small village in Thuringia. The couple struggle to contend with their different backgrounds, and the emotional scars they bear from childhood in the aftermath of war. As East German history gradually unravels, with collision of the personal and political, their two families’ hidden truths are quietly revealed. An exquisitely written novel with strongly etched characters that stay with you long after the book is finished and an authentic portrayal of family life behind the iron curtain based on personal experience of the author who is East German and was 16 years old at the fall of the Berlin Wall. Why do families repeat destructive patterns of behaviour across generations? Should the personal take precedence over

Top Ten Books I Recommend The Most

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . This week's topic:  Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most 1.) The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons   2.) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon           If you read my blog at all, you know I love these two books so much!  I am not afraid to suggest them to anyone who I think might enjoy them. 3.) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I was definitely recommending this book left and right when the first movie came out. 4.) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 5.) A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin           These are two books that I just recently started recommending but they are books that can appeal to anyone so they are easy picks when someone asks for a recommendation. 6.) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead  - I get a little embarrassed when I recommend this book to people but seriously, just because it has vampires does not mean it is like Twilight. 7.) The Giver by Lois

Book Blog Hop (11)

The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at Crazy for Books .  It's a way to meet other bloggers and check out some cool new blogs. This week's question is:  "Highlight one book you have received this week that you can't wait to dig into!" Okay, I have a confession to make.  I have been so busy this week that I have not had time to get any new books.  I have several waiting for me at the library but I won't be able to pick them up until this weekend.  : ( Did you all get any exciting new books this week?