Skip to main content

Quick Review: "Esther" by Rebecca Kanner


From Goodreads:  A glittering Persian king has a vast empire that reaches farther than where the sun meets the horizon. He is bathed in riches and commands a frightening military force. He possesses power beyond any other mortal man and rules his kingdom as a god. Anything he desires, he has. Any woman he wants, he possesses. Thousands of them. Young virgins from all across his many lands.

A Jewish girl is ripped from her hut by the king’s brutish warriors and forced to march across blistering, scorched earth to the capitol city. Trapped for months in the splendid cage of the king’s palace, she must avoid the ire of the king’s concubines and eunuchs all while preparing for her one night with the king. Soon the fated night arrives, and she does everything in her power to captivate the king and become his queen.

But wearing the crown brings with it a new set of dangers. When a ruthless man plies the king’s ear with whispers of genocide, it is up to the young queen to prevent the extermination of the Jews. She must find the strength within to violate the king’s law, risk her life, and save her people.

This is a story of finding hidden depths of courage within one’s self. Of risking it all to stand up for what is right.

This is the story of Queen Esther.


My Thoughts:  I've been fascinated by Queen Esther ever since I first read about her in the Bible as a child.  This book tells the story of Esther from her capture throughout her life as queen.  Ms. Kanner's Esther is a fighter who is determined to survive against all odds.  Because of this determination as well as her intelligence, she is able to catch the eye of the king who makes her his queen almost immediately.  

I loved Ms. Kanner's description of life inside Xerxes' palace.  Her descriptions are magnificent; I just imagined a world where everything glittered.  I would also say that she writes some pretty good villains.  Haman and his family were vile, nasty and cruel; the lengths they went to in order to curry favor and gain power were horrible.  However, I liked that Esther was able to outsmart them without resorting to the kinds of dark deeds Haman and his brood utilized.

I will say that this story made me kind of sad.  Esther was in love with someone who she could never be with and it was painful to watch her and Erez grapple with their feelings and the circumstances that kept them apart.  There were also other areas where her life didn't work out the way she planned and it was incredibly heart-breaking (I don't want to give anything away).  

Overall, this was an enjoyable look at the life of an amazing biblical figure.  3 stars.


I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Comments

  1. This sounds like an interesting fictionalization of Esther's story. I've often thought it might be sad to be just one of a King's women. Not much true family in that arrangement. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mailbox Monday (49)

It's time for another Mailbox Monday post!  Once again I could not resist the cheap ebooks that Amazon and Barnes and Noble were promoting this week.  I really need to stop!  I already have more than I can read.  I also was able to spend a little time browsing at the library and I came home with a nice stack of books.  These days, I hardly ever get to spend time at the library by myself for more than a minute or two so it was wonderful to have time to just wander and see what I could find. Purchased (for kindle): The Color of Secrets by Lindsay Ashford The One I Was by Eliza Graham House of Bathory by Linda Lafferty   Purchased (for nook): One Night in Winter by Simon Sebag Montefiore  Becoming Queen Victoria by Kate Williams From the Library: The Messenger by Daniel Silva   The Ripper's Wife by Brandy Purdy Hotel Moscow by Talia Carner Brazen by Katherine Longshore What books did you get...

Review and Giveaway: "This Son of York" by Anne Easter Smith

Synopsis: Now is the winter of our discontent, Made glorious summer by This Son of York…” — William Shakespeare, Richard III Richard III was Anne’s muse for her first five books, but, finally, in This Son of York he becomes her protagonist. The story of this English king is one of history’s most compelling, made even more fascinating through the discovery in 2012 of his bones buried under a car park in Leicester. This new portrait of England’s most controversial king is meticulously researched and brings to vivid life the troubled, complex Richard of Gloucester, who ruled for two years over an England tired of war and civil strife. The loyal and dutiful youngest son of York, Richard lived most of his short life in the shadow of his brother, Edward IV, loyally supporting his sibling until the mantle of power was thrust unexpectedly on him. Some of his actions and motives were misunderstood by his enemies to have been a deliberate usurpation of the throne, but thr...

Mailbox Monday (38)

It's my first Mailbox Monday of the new year!  I hope everyone's year is off to a great start!  I got some great books this week and can't wait to see what everyone else got! From the Library: Prince Lestat by Anne Rice Purchased:   Bellagrand by Paullina Simons Like Chaff in the Wind by Anna Belfrage For Review (from HFVBT): The Towers of Tuscany by Carol M. Cram What books did you get this week?