Skip to main content

Review: "Angel of Vengeance" by Ana Siljak

From Goodreads:  In the Russian winter of 1878 a shy, aristocratic young woman named Vera Zasulich walked into the office of the governor of St. Petersburg, pulled a revolver from underneath her shawl, and shot General Fedor Trepov point blank.  “Revenge!,” she cried, for the governor's brutal treatment of a political prisoner. Her trial for murder later that year became Russia's "trial of the century," closely followed by people all across Europe and America. On the day of the trial, huge crowds packed the courtroom.  The cream of Russian society, attired in the finery of the day, arrived to witness the theatrical testimony and deliberations in the case of the young angel of vengeance.  After the trial, Vera became a celebrated martyr for all social classes in Russia and became the public face of a burgeoning revolutionary fervor. Dostoyevsky (who attended the trial), Turgenev, Engels, and even Oscar Wilde all wrote about her extraordinary case. Her astonishing acquittal was celebrated across Europe, crowds filled the streets and the decision marked the changing face of Russia. After fleeing to Switzerland, Vera Zasulich became Russia's most famous "terroristka," inspiring a whole generation of Russian and European revolutionaries to embrace violence and martyrdom.  Her influence led to a series of acts that collectively became part of “the age of assassinations.” In the now-forgotten story of Russia's most notorious terrorist, Ana Siljak captures Vera's extraordinary life story--from privileged child of nobility to revolutionary conspirator, from assassin to martyr to socialist icon and saint-- while colorfully evoking the drama of one of the world’s most closely watched trials and a Russia where political celebrities held sway.

My Thoughts:  This was a pretty interesting book.  I picked it up thinking it would be just a biography of Vera Zasulich but it turned out to be a lot more.  In addition to talking about Vera and her infamous crime, the author also delved into the rise of Russian terrorism and the revolutionary movement.  There was a lot of information about what events and ideas led Vera to shoot the governor of St. Petersburg but sometimes I forgot that I was reading a biography because it felt like most of the book was about terrorism in Russia during the 19th century.  I would have liked to read more about Vera's life and less about the various revolutionary movements in general. The book moved between giving background information, Vera's childhood and her trial which was confusing at times.  I also thought it was odd that the author seemed to be praising Vera's actions; in this day and age the word 'terrorist' has a LOT of negative connotations but this book almost praised and/or seemed to agree with the terrorist activity she was describing.  Overall, this was a very informative book. 3 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mailbox Monday (49)

It's time for another Mailbox Monday post!  Once again I could not resist the cheap ebooks that Amazon and Barnes and Noble were promoting this week.  I really need to stop!  I already have more than I can read.  I also was able to spend a little time browsing at the library and I came home with a nice stack of books.  These days, I hardly ever get to spend time at the library by myself for more than a minute or two so it was wonderful to have time to just wander and see what I could find. Purchased (for kindle): The Color of Secrets by Lindsay Ashford The One I Was by Eliza Graham House of Bathory by Linda Lafferty   Purchased (for nook): One Night in Winter by Simon Sebag Montefiore  Becoming Queen Victoria by Kate Williams From the Library: The Messenger by Daniel Silva   The Ripper's Wife by Brandy Purdy Hotel Moscow by Talia Carner Brazen by Katherine Longshore What books did you get...

Review and Giveaway: "This Son of York" by Anne Easter Smith

Synopsis: Now is the winter of our discontent, Made glorious summer by This Son of York…” — William Shakespeare, Richard III Richard III was Anne’s muse for her first five books, but, finally, in This Son of York he becomes her protagonist. The story of this English king is one of history’s most compelling, made even more fascinating through the discovery in 2012 of his bones buried under a car park in Leicester. This new portrait of England’s most controversial king is meticulously researched and brings to vivid life the troubled, complex Richard of Gloucester, who ruled for two years over an England tired of war and civil strife. The loyal and dutiful youngest son of York, Richard lived most of his short life in the shadow of his brother, Edward IV, loyally supporting his sibling until the mantle of power was thrust unexpectedly on him. Some of his actions and motives were misunderstood by his enemies to have been a deliberate usurpation of the throne, but thr...

Mailbox Monday (38)

It's my first Mailbox Monday of the new year!  I hope everyone's year is off to a great start!  I got some great books this week and can't wait to see what everyone else got! From the Library: Prince Lestat by Anne Rice Purchased:   Bellagrand by Paullina Simons Like Chaff in the Wind by Anna Belfrage For Review (from HFVBT): The Towers of Tuscany by Carol M. Cram What books did you get this week?