Skip to main content

Review: "The Favored Queen" by Carolly Erickson

From Goodreads:  Born into an ambitious noble family, young Jane Seymour is sent to Court as a Maid of Honor to Catherine of Aragon, Henry VIII’s aging queen. She is devoted to her mistress and watches with empathy as the calculating Anne Boleyn contrives to supplant her as queen. Anne’s single-minded intriguing threatens all who stand in her way; she does not hesitate to arrange the murder of a woman who knows a secret so dark that, if revealed, would make it impossible for the king to marry Anne. 
Once Anne becomes queen, no one at court is safe, and Jane herself becomes the victim of Anne’s venomous rage when she suspects Jane has become the object of the king’s lust. Henry, fearing that Anne’s inability to give him a son is a sign of divine wrath, asks Jane to become his next queen. Deeply reluctant to embark on such a dangerous course, Jane must choose between her heart and her loyalty to the king.

My Thoughts:  This was very different than other Tudor era book I have read before mainly because it focused on Jane Seymour.  She is normally barely mentioned in books except to say that she was Prince Edward's mother and it was nice to see a book from her point of view.  Through her eyes, the reader gets to see interesting views of Catherine of Aragon as well as Anne Boleyn though I must say I was kind of shocked by how badly Anne Boleyn was portrayed.  She was shown in a very bad light in this book.  That being said, Jane seemed to be a likeable enough character who had a give up a lot to serve the Queens before her.   This book wasn't too exciting but it wasn't bad either.  The one thing that did bother me is the fact that Jane Seymour had two brothers and the author only saw fit to include one in the story; it was as though Thomas Seymour didn't exist.  I know it's kind of silly but it still annoyed me.  Overall, a decent book about a lesser known historical figure.  3 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mailbox Monday (49)

It's time for another Mailbox Monday post!  Once again I could not resist the cheap ebooks that Amazon and Barnes and Noble were promoting this week.  I really need to stop!  I already have more than I can read.  I also was able to spend a little time browsing at the library and I came home with a nice stack of books.  These days, I hardly ever get to spend time at the library by myself for more than a minute or two so it was wonderful to have time to just wander and see what I could find. Purchased (for kindle): The Color of Secrets by Lindsay Ashford The One I Was by Eliza Graham House of Bathory by Linda Lafferty   Purchased (for nook): One Night in Winter by Simon Sebag Montefiore  Becoming Queen Victoria by Kate Williams From the Library: The Messenger by Daniel Silva   The Ripper's Wife by Brandy Purdy Hotel Moscow by Talia Carner Brazen by Katherine Longshore What books did you get...

Review and Giveaway: "This Son of York" by Anne Easter Smith

Synopsis: Now is the winter of our discontent, Made glorious summer by This Son of York…” — William Shakespeare, Richard III Richard III was Anne’s muse for her first five books, but, finally, in This Son of York he becomes her protagonist. The story of this English king is one of history’s most compelling, made even more fascinating through the discovery in 2012 of his bones buried under a car park in Leicester. This new portrait of England’s most controversial king is meticulously researched and brings to vivid life the troubled, complex Richard of Gloucester, who ruled for two years over an England tired of war and civil strife. The loyal and dutiful youngest son of York, Richard lived most of his short life in the shadow of his brother, Edward IV, loyally supporting his sibling until the mantle of power was thrust unexpectedly on him. Some of his actions and motives were misunderstood by his enemies to have been a deliberate usurpation of the throne, but thr...

Mailbox Monday (38)

It's my first Mailbox Monday of the new year!  I hope everyone's year is off to a great start!  I got some great books this week and can't wait to see what everyone else got! From the Library: Prince Lestat by Anne Rice Purchased:   Bellagrand by Paullina Simons Like Chaff in the Wind by Anna Belfrage For Review (from HFVBT): The Towers of Tuscany by Carol M. Cram What books did you get this week?