Skip to main content

Review: "Starvation Heights" by Gregg Olsen

From Goodreads: In 1911 two wealthy British heiresses, Claire and Dora Williamson, came to a sanitorium in the forests of the Pacific Northwest to undergo the revolutionary “fasting treatment” of Dr. Linda Burfield Hazzard. It was supposed to be a holiday for the two sisters. But within a month of arriving at what the locals called Starvation Heights, the women were emaciated shadows of their former selves, waiting for death. They were not the first victims of Linda Hazzard, a quack doctor of extraordinary evil and greed who would stop at nothing short of murder to achieve her ambitions. As their jewelry disappeared and forged bank drafts began transferring their wealth to Hazzard’s accounts, Dora Williamson sent a last desperate plea to a friend in Australia, begging her to save them from the brutal treatments and lonely isolation of Starvation Heights.

My Thoughts:  I found this book by accident at Half Price Books about a year ago and finally got around to reading it.  I had never heard of the events discussed in the book and I really loved that it's a historical true crime story.  

I was shocked by how manipulative and devious Linda Hazzard was.  Her crazy idea that extensive fasting would cure illness was just mind boggling and the fact that people bought into was even more surprising.  I was really shocked by the lengths she went to in order to steal people's money and that people never questioned her motives.  The book focuses on one case in particular though it seems that many people died because of Linda Hazzard's greed and phony medical claims.  When Claire Williamson died as a result of Hazzard's treatment, the British consul in Washington pushed to get Hazzard tried for murder.  I couldn't believe that with all of the evidence available, it took a lot of time and effort to convince local officials to prosecute Hazzard.  It seemed like nobody cared about what she was doing.  I also hated how full of herself Hazzard was and how convinced she was of her own rightness.  She seemed like such an evil person and at times it was hard to believe that she was a real person.

For a work of non-fiction, this was such a smooth, easy read.  It was really like reading a novel and kept my interest from beginning to end.  The only thing I didn't really like about this book is that there weren't any footnotes or citations in the book.  It's hard for me to buy into works of non-fiction that don't list their sources and tell me where they are getting their information from.  It also makes me question how accurate the information is.  I think if it weren't for that, I would have given this book a higher rating.  As it is, Starvation Heights is a fascinating read centered around horrific crimes in America's not so distant past. 3 stars.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review and Giveaway: "Distant Signs" by Anne Richter

Synopsis: Distant Signs is an intimate portrait of two families spanning three generations amidst turbulent political change, behind and beyond the Berlin Wall. In 1960s East Germany, Margret, a professor’s daughter from the city, meets and marries Hans, from a small village in Thuringia. The couple struggle to contend with their different backgrounds, and the emotional scars they bear from childhood in the aftermath of war. As East German history gradually unravels, with collision of the personal and political, their two families’ hidden truths are quietly revealed. An exquisitely written novel with strongly etched characters that stay with you long after the book is finished and an authentic portrayal of family life behind the iron curtain based on personal experience of the author who is East German and was 16 years old at the fall of the Berlin Wall. Why do families repeat destructive patterns of behaviour across generations? Should the personal take precedence over

Top Ten Books I Recommend The Most

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . This week's topic:  Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most 1.) The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons   2.) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon           If you read my blog at all, you know I love these two books so much!  I am not afraid to suggest them to anyone who I think might enjoy them. 3.) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I was definitely recommending this book left and right when the first movie came out. 4.) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 5.) A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin           These are two books that I just recently started recommending but they are books that can appeal to anyone so they are easy picks when someone asks for a recommendation. 6.) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead  - I get a little embarrassed when I recommend this book to people but seriously, just because it has vampires does not mean it is like Twilight. 7.) The Giver by Lois

Book Blog Hop (11)

The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at Crazy for Books .  It's a way to meet other bloggers and check out some cool new blogs. This week's question is:  "Highlight one book you have received this week that you can't wait to dig into!" Okay, I have a confession to make.  I have been so busy this week that I have not had time to get any new books.  I have several waiting for me at the library but I won't be able to pick them up until this weekend.  : ( Did you all get any exciting new books this week?