Friday, July 1, 2011

Book Blog Hop (7)

The Book Blog Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at Crazy for Books and is a way for book bloggers to meet new people and view awesome blogs.

This week's question is:  What keeps you reading beyond the first few pages of a book, and what makes you want to stop reading a book and put it back on the shelf?

If I am not sucked in to the story in the first few pages, I will stop reading.  I very rarely stop reading a book in the middle and put it back on the shelf.  I always feel like if I can make that far into a book, then I should just finish it.  The times that I have stopped and not finished a book have occurred when the book is so bad that I just don't want to read it and will find anything to do besides reading (which is normally not how I roll).  Currently there are two books on my shelf that I plan to finish but that I couldn't get through the first time.

What do you all think?

10 comments:

  1. I'm the eternal optimist and keep telling myself it will get better, I need to be tougher!

    New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why I keep reading a book. It's not the story. It's not the characters. I really don't know!

    I'm hopping by to tell you that I've got a wonderful giveaway going on at my blog, Readerbuzz. It's international! During the Readerbuzz July Giveaway I'll be giving away a $25 Amazon gift card! I'd love to have you stop in and throw your name in the hat to win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always try to stick with it also.

    Returning the following!! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  4. These book blogger hop questions just get better and better. This one looks easy but I think it’s a trick question. We all know it’s the same answer – the writing – but we all have different perspectives of what good writing is.

    Hop on over to my blog at http://www.howardsherman.net and read my three-prong answer as I explain why I’ll decide to pick up a book or put it down in under sixty seconds.

    Happy July 4th Weekend!

    Howard Sherman, Implementor
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. hopping by. I'm currently reading In the Garden of Beasts. It's taken me a while to get through it. What do you think of it so far?

    new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I'm already into a book, I will try and finish it too.
    Hopping through - have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopping through. I rarely give up books because I don't like the beginning. I'm usually assuming it will get better. But the middle is the time when I'll give it up.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Follow Friday! I am a follower! Hope you will stop by http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by via Crazy-For-Book's Blog Hop. I'm following your blog.

    I'm having a giveaway on my blog this weekend so please stop by!

    Holjo @ Pedantic Phooka
    www.pedanticphooka.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rebecca, "In the Garden of Beasts" is taking me forever to get through. The premise is really interesting but it's a pretty slow moving book.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs